Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Don't give me a Donald Trump.

I cringe. When hearing Donald Trump. Criticizing Jeb Bush. For speaking Spanish. On the political campaign trail. Yes, I’m for more multi-lingual Americans. Sure, it’s best and useful to speak English – the predominant language in the United States. But hey, nothing wrong with having a second or third language.  Nothing wrong with Americans honoring their ethnic backgrounds. My mother was born in Chicago. But when she started school, she didn’t speak much English. Mostly Czech. Because she was raised in a Czech neighborhood. And tutored by a grandfather who spoke only Czech. Really, that was a blessing. Because she spoke fluent Czech for the rest of her life. Of course, she learned English, too. Even better and more fluent than Czech. But my mother was misguided. In one way. Because she never made a concerted effort to teach her children Czech. I learned only a smattering of Czech. Wished I had mastered Czech. When I was a youngster. When learning a language comes easier. Now it’s too late for me to master another language. I’m a too typical English-speaking-only American. Wish I were more like my mother, or even Jeb Bush.  But please, don’t give me a language-impaired Donald Trump. --Jim Broede

No comments: