Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The best part of life. Yet to come.

I'd not hold a memorial service for my friend Ron. Better to allow him to drift away. Unattended.  But there will be a service. Because that's the thing to do. To pay him proper respect. Oh, I'll attend the service. And maybe offer a few words. But I've already paid my respects. When Ron was still alive. And somewhat vibrant. Didn't really get to know him. Until he had dementia, aka Alzheimer's. Ron was a unique human being. Even with dementia. It's fortunate. That others knew Ron before dementia. When he was a flourishing scientist. Discovering products that made a fortune. For 3M Co. Anyway, I took time. To get to know Ron. When he was on the intellectual decline. And I wonder. If that might have been Ron at his best. After all, I was impressed. By Ron's endurance. And his stamina. A sign that he truly loved life. Even on the dementia side. When maybe he had a foot in the physical world. And a foot in the spiritual realm, too.  Yes, Ron seemed to be in a remarkable period of transition. Making a new discovery. About the best part of life. Yet to come. --Jim Broede

No comments: