Saturday, September 5, 2015

The happenstance of luck.

I think. About one's fate. And if there are ways. To avoid. Or control one's fate. For the most part. I have been in the right place. At the right time. Maybe if I had altered my movement. By a second or two. I could have avoided a bad fate. Such as an auto accident. That could have claimed not only my own life. But the lives of my beloved Italian amore Cristina. And Italian friend Giovanna. When an oncoming RV veered out of control. Into our lane of traffic. And smashed into us. More or less head-on. Luckily, without any serious or life-threatening injury. For that, I am grateful. But for a while, I couldn't stop thinking. About how the accident could have been avoided. If we hadn't been in the wrong place at the wrong time. If we hadn't stopped earlier. For breakfast. Or for gas. Or to take a picture. Of course, it could have been worse, too. If the RV had hit us at a slightly different angle.  We might have all been killed. In that sense, we were lucky. This causes me to ponder. To muse. What's the difference between good luck and bad luck? --Jim Broede

No comments: