Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The making of peace.

Sometimes, it's not good to make peace with one's sister. That was so. For me. For many, many years. Instead of making peace, I wrote off my sister. Putting her on notice. That we were no longer on speaking terms. Until she stopped drinking. And became my sober sister again. That finally happened. Some 10 years ago. There was no sense in quarreling with my sister. No sense in issuing edicts. No sense in maintaining contact. Because it was doing no good. Maybe even making the relationship worse. That all changed.  When my sister burned down her house. Having fallen asleep. In a drunken stupor.  On her sofa. While smoking a cigarette. That was enough. For sister to 'bottom out.' She quit drinking. And smoking, too. Cold turkey. That was good reason. To patch up our differences. And make peace. --Jim Broede

No comments: