Thursday, October 8, 2015

Can't bear to watch.

I'm an avid lifetime Chicago Cubs fan. But last night, I couldn't bring myself to watch the Cubs playoff game against the Pittsburgh Pirates. Because of the stress and tension. I'd have become a nervous wreck. That comes with my desire to have the Cubs win. If they blew the game, I might go into depression. For a day or two or three. I'd come out of it, of course.  By focusing on the fact that the Cubs had a pretty good season. Jumping from a last-place finish a year ago, to the playoffs. Yes, I'd still have plenty to savor. My sister, plus a neighbor friend, called me during the game. To tell me the good news. That the Cubs were winning. And that I should tune in the game. Because the Cubs looked unbeatable. But still, I played it safe. The TV remained off. When I was sure that the Cubs had won, I turned on the post game festivities. And watched the highlights. Relaxed. And joyful. Next, the Cubs play the St. Louis Cardinals. On Friday night. I probably won't watch.  So I don't jinx the Cubs. --Jim Broede

No comments: