Monday, October 19, 2015

I'm ashamed. Of all of us.

Yes, I have launched a hard-hitting approach. To my dear friend Julie. Every day. I'm reminding her. She's an alcoholic. A drunk. That she seems to hate herself. So much so. That she doesn't give a damn. About her own life any more. Otherwise, she'd go in for treatment. She'd truly want to get better. She'd recognize her addiction. And get help. But Julie isn't quite desperate enough yet. To take the big step. Julie asked me. The other day. Whether I was disappointed in her. Yes, I had to tell her. Very disappointed. I am grieving. If she continues along this path.  She soon will be dead. Of complications from alcoholism. She's already more than halfway there. She has symptoms that mimic Alzheimer's. She's forgetful. Alcoholism does that to one's mind.  Can't even remember full days. A total blackout. And I. And everyone else around Julie. Allow this to happen. I'm ashamed. Of all of us. But I'm merely disappointed. In dear Julie. --Jim Broede

No comments: