Saturday, October 10, 2015

Win or lose. I remain in love.

My father was a gambler. Habitual. Addicted. Some say that gamblers have a death wish. They love to take risks. That was my father. He committed suicide. After running up immense gambling debts. I'm different from my father. I never gamble for money. Instead, I gamble my emotions. By wishing for outcomes. If I lose, it's merely a disappointment. An emotional setback. And I've learned to deal with that. For instance, I bet my emotions on the Chicago Cubs. When they lose, I may be glum for a little while. When they win, I'm blissfully happy.  Yes, I can handle the ups and downs of life. Without becoming suicidal. I have learned to fall in love. With life. And with the Chicago Cubs, too. Win or lose. I remain in love. --Jim Broede

No comments: