Wednesday, November 4, 2015

A trauma that became a blessing.

When my dear sweet wife Jeanne became Alzheimer-riddled. Maybe that qualifies as the most traumatic event of my life. Fortunately, I learned to deal with it. So did Jeanne. But it wasn't easy. It was a struggle. For much of the 13-year sojourn. Initially, I was in denial. Persuading myself. That Jeanne was misdiagnosed. But I learned to accept the verdict. And the inevitable. A steady decline in Jeanne's condition.  Took me several years. To learn to make the best of the situation. Being a 24/7 care-giver was the hardest. But I adapted. Adjusted. During the last 38 months of Jeanne's life I became an 8-10 hour a day care-giver. Supplementing Jeanne's care at a nursing home. Never missed a day. As Jeanne's advocate and protector. Gave her special attention and care. Daily outdoor romps in a custom-built wheelchair. Showers. Every night. Just before bedtime.  Hand-fed meals in the pleasant privacy of her room. A daily dose of good vibes therapy. In all sorts of imaginative ways. Care-giving became a fulfilling and loving pleasure. The most gratifying experience of my life.  What started out as a devastating trauma, turned out to be a love feast. Helped to make me a better human being. Yes, the Alzheimer's experience became a blessing.  No longer trauma. --Jim Broede

No comments: