Tuesday, November 3, 2015

My glamorous approach to trauma.

Traumatic experiences. I've had my share. In my 80 years of living. A friend tells me, that some of my trauma should be treated. In professional psychotherapy. For my own good.  To better understand. How traumatic events have affected my life.  Maybe in negative and detrimental ways.  Without me being fully aware of it. I have nothing against seeing a psychiatrist. But I'm my own best psychotherapist. May sound like bragging. But I've always found ways to effectively deal with trauma. Even as a youngster. I'm able to elevate and  distance myself from trauma.  And see it all. In an objective manner. Turning the experience into a positive thing. The friend surmised that my father's suicide, when I was 13, must have been difficult to cope with, psychologically. Yes, it was. Initially. Until I concluded. That the suicide was a positive thing. For dad. For me. For the family. For everyone. As the years passed, I was able, more and more, to glamorize the suicide. As being the catalyst for much good. In my life. In my mother's life. In the lives of so very many people. And that, at the time, in 1949, it was my dad's best option. Perhaps even an act of courage. Yes. I would tell a psychiatrist. That's an example. Of how I typically deal with the trauma in my life. By glamorizing the long-term outcomes. --Jim Broede

No comments: