Monday, November 2, 2015

The pleasure in not being the best.

Don't know why it's so necessary. To be the best. At anything in particular. Seems to me that even being moderately good. At something. Should be sufficient. Especially if one enjoys what he's doing. Perhaps only dabbling. At a particular skill or endeavor. Let's say that I choose to run a marathon. And I get tired after 15 miles. And drop out. Still, I've achieved something significant. Maybe even remarkable. By the fact that I participated. Gave it a go. I call myself a lover. And a dreamer, too. Doesn't matter. If I'm not the best lover. Or the best dreamer. I can settle for merely being me. For putting forth a decent effort. I'm leery of people who want to be recognized as the best. As the winner of the World Series, for instance. Turns out that the Chicago Cubs didn't win the top prize. But as a Cubs fan, I'm still happy. Doesn't matter that the Cubs didn't go all the way. They were good enough to suit me.  To give me pleasure. Even in years when they finished last. --Jim Broede

No comments: