Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Two love stories.

I'm thinking tonight of my role. As a close observer. Of the festering relationship between my friends Rick and Julie. And that I'm sort of helpless. To do anything about it. Really, I can't do much other than watch. I can't fix it. Only they can do that.  It could happen. But it's unlikely. First, Julie would have to quit drinking.  And become her old self again. And that's impossible. She's too far gone. It's a study. In how a relationship falls apart. Disintegrates. Crumbles. Piece by piece. And probably can't be put back together again.  It's probably going to have a sad ending. But still, it's a love story. That went awry. That makes for a good novel. But in this case, it's real. I've long said. That life is like living in a novel. That's what I am doing. Therefore, there's no need for me to write a novel. I'm living my own novel.  A continuing love story. Fortunately, with more upbeat and happy twists than the Rick and Julie love story. --Jim Broede

No comments: