Sunday, January 31, 2016

When it's not true.

I woke up this morning. At 4:15. Wondering. Wondering. What I could have done. To alter Jack’s life. Through some sort of intervention. To have made him a happier being. A better-adjusted son. Should I feel guilty? For allowing Jack to be Jack. Of course, I won’t allow myself. In the end.  To be held responsible. Jack made his choices. Free and clear. And I made my choices. Free and clear. To allow Jack to go down destructive courses. This makes me wonder about friend Julie. Maybe this is why I advocate intervention. For Julie. To save Julie. From herself. People around Julie. Friends and acquaintances. Allow Julie to self-destruct. To languish. As an alcoholic.  In a state of depression. And we watch and watch and watch. Endlessly. And when Julie ends up dying  A tragic death some day. We’ll all walk off. Scott free. And get on with our lives. Without any qualms of conscience. Because we all did everything we humanly could.  When it’s not true. --Jim Broede

No comments: