Wednesday, April 20, 2016

To deceive one's self.

I wonder if lying is an art. Everyone lies. To some degree. That’s all right. I accept friends who lie to other people. For good reason. Often to avoid trouble. And to not hurt feelings. Those kinds of lies are tolerable. Acceptable. Because I differentiate. Between good lies and bad lies. Unfortunately, I have several friends that continually lie. To themselves. Often without knowing it. They believe their own lies.  If they merely lie to me and others – well, that ain’t so bad.  As long as they are honest with themselves.  Acknowledging that they are liars.  Often for the sake of convenience.  And even kindness. But if they lie to bamboozle themselves –that’s where the line should be drawn.  Yes, that’s the worst kind of lie. Shameful. To deceive one’s self.  --Jim Broede

No comments: