Monday, May 30, 2016

A little love is good enough.

I’m unorthodox. Different. And not afraid to be. That can get me into trouble. Because some people want me to be orthodox. To comply with the written and unwritten rules. To toe the line. Anyway, I’ve become a romantic idealist, a spiritual free-thinker, a political liberal, a lover, a dreamer. And not least, a diehard Chicago Cubs fan. Maybe being hooked on the Cubs is my worst vice. It hasn’t always been good for me. Until I got used to the losing. But this year, the Cubs are winning. At a fantastic rate. They have the best record in baseball. Though the season is only 48 games old. And there are over 100 games left to play. Odd as it may seem, winning may be harder to take than losing.  Because my expectations begin to soar. For the Cubs finally getting to and winning the World Series. For the first time in my lifetime. I could be in for a big  letdown.  If the Cubs fall a game or two short. In an agonizing way. So close. Yet so far. But I’m learning to adjust. To accept life in stride. Even if I can’t have everything. A little love in my life is good enough. --Jim Broede

No comments: