Saturday, May 7, 2016

Accepting a blessing. Graciously.

I wonder. If my Chicago Cubs are becoming too successful. Such as peaking too early. Winning too many games.  That has never been a problem with the Cubs. They have specialized in losing. For over 100 years. They last won the World Series in 1908. The longest drought ever for a major league baseball team. Anyway, the Cubs are off to their fastest start ever. Winning 22 of their first 28 games. That makes for a 22-6 record. And they’ve won their games by a collective margin of 98 runs. They routinely win by big scores. They know how to pitch. How to hit. How to score. How to win. Incredible.  Of course, I could lament. Because the record isn’t 28-0. That would be the same. As a millionaire. Grieving. Because he ain’t a billionaire. I feel a little disappointed. When the Cubs lose a game. They’ve lost once in the last 10 games. A 4-3, 10-inning loss to the Atlanta Braves. Ironically, the team with the worst record in baseball. Maybe it’s a sign that the Cubs are merciful.  Anyway, I’m trying to adjust to all this winning. Telling myself. Don’t become spoiled. Learn to accept a blessing. Graciously. --Jim Broede

No comments: