Sunday, May 8, 2016

Maybe that's all that counts.

Am I living a worthwhile life? I awakened this morning. With that question on my mind. And I didn’t have an immediate answer. Other than another question. What is worthwhile? And frankly, I don’t know. Of course, I’m relatively happy. Not in depression. Unlike some of my friends. Such as Julie. Does that make my life more worthwhile? More so than Julie’s life?  And who’s to say? It’s a subjective judgment call. We each have to come up with our own answer. I, for one, won’t allow others to answer for me. Yes, I reserve the right to decide. For myself. That’s no problem. For me. But I suspect that isn’t the case for Julie. She’s largely lost control. Of her life.  Because of depression. And addictions. Seems to me that Julie is living scared. She’s lost purpose. And I wonder. If that’s a dangerous way to live. I’d feel in peril. If I were Julie. But I’m not. That makes me happy. And feeling worthwhile. Because I am me. And not Julie. Maybe that’s all that counts. --Jim Broede

No comments: