Monday, September 5, 2016

At least, I trust myself.

I don’t trust alcoholics. Even if they are my closest friends. Unless I am convinced that they are truly recovering. They’d have to go years without drinking. For me to trust that they won’t fall off the proverbial wagon. My addicted friend Julie takes umbrage  with me. For not trusting her. I occasionally do Julie a favor. By taking her shopping.  If Julie is anywhere close to a liquor store, I keep a watchful eye on her.  That peeved Julie today. She went on a rant. Accusing me of not trusting her. I’m guilty. Julie is correct about that. I tried to soothe Julie. By confessing. That there are very few people that I ever totally trust. Maybe three in my lifetime. My two true loves. And one other friend. And it could be, that nobody totally trusts me. That’s all right. Doesn’t matter. As long as I trust myself. And I do. By the way, I asked Julie if she trusts herself. Of course, she doesn’t. So I asked, ‘Why should others trust you?’--Jim Broede

No comments: