Friday, November 4, 2016

A crazy Cubs fan, am I.

I’d rather not watch history in the making. Better to resurrect the story. After the event. There’s an advantage. In already knowing what happened. Allows me to savor the twists and turns. That led to the fantastic outcome. Knowing. Right from the start. Whether it was a sad or happy ending. That’s how I dealt with the seventh game of the World Series. Between my beloved Chicago Cubs and the Cleveland Indians. I refused to watch or listen to the game unfold. I went into seclusion. Isolation. No TV. No radio. No Internet. Didn’t even check the score. Until I knew that the game was safely over. I had a friend call me. To announce, ‘Jim, the game is safely over. You can turn on the TV. The Cubs have won.’ I immediately felt the pulse beat of joy. Knowing. That if the game had proceeded. In roller coaster fashion. As it did. With so very many ups and downs. I’d be able, instead, to enjoy it all. As if I were there. Without the anguish. Without the tension. Without the stress. Instead, I went my way. After the fact. Living the moment. In a pleasant and idyllic way.  Of course, my friend suggested that I was crazy. That he was the sane and wise one. By immersing himself in the game. Before it was over. While it was still being played. Into history. Instead, I played classical music. Read a book. Diverted my mind. And here I am. A day later. Happy and content. Knowing that I haven’t missed a beat. Of the most epic moment. In the Chicago Cubs most epic and thrilling season. –Crazy Jim Broede

No comments: