Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Is that asking too much?

I’m a white American. A so-called Caucasian. But I think of myself being of German heritage on my father’s side of the family. Czech (or Slavic) on my mother’s side.  And when it comes to my love interest, I’m Italian. Yes, my amore (true love) is a Sardinian. Bilingual. Italian and English.  My mother was bilingual, too. Czech and English. I’m like most white Americans. Speaking only English. But hey, when it comes to political, economic and social issues, I part ways with many politically conservative white Americans. I’m more with the non-whites.  With the ethnic Asians, the Hispanics, the Blacks. Because I see too many white racists.  Much like Germans were in the 1930s and 1940s. When they were hostile to Jews. Now I am afraid that white Americans are becoming hostile to non-whites. And especially to non-Christians.  Meanwhile, despite being lily white, I want diversity and tolerance in my country. Welcoming non-whites and non-Christians.  Coveting  a blending. A mix. Of all kinds of people. Won’t bother me if white Americans become the minority. Doesn’t matter. When we all work for the common good. Knowing. We are all in this life and world together. Let’s act that way. Is that asking too much? --Jim Broede

No comments: