Thursday, December 29, 2016

On making human contact.

It’s too bad. That many, many people think of themselves as ordinary. When really, they are strange and fabulous. That is, if they think about it. I can pick out anyone. From a crowd. And in 10 minutes. Merely by quizzing him/her. Discover something strange.  And fabulous, too. Because every individual is unique. Different. Often without knowing it. That’s one reason why I am attracted to strangers. For the purpose of discovery. Of course, some strangers will clam up. They’ve been taught to not talk to strangers.  To be distrustful.  But I quickly introduce myself.  As a romantic idealist. A spiritual free-thinker. A political liberal. A lover. A dreamer. A writer. Which means I appear to be strange. But no longer a total stranger. Therefore, I invite the stranger to open up.  To talk freely. In a revealing manner.  Soon, the stranger is no longer a total stranger.  Having been magically transformed. Into a strange and fabulous acquaintance.  Maybe even worthy of friendship. Yes. Yes. Believe me. I have a strange and fabulous way of making human contact.  --Jim Broede

No comments: