Sunday, December 11, 2016

Thank gawd for that.

You realize, don’t you, dear Rosie, that America is a divided nation?  Politically. Socially. Economically. But especially politically.  Even many households are divided. Politically.  Look at the two of us. You and I. You are a faithful Trump supporter. You accept him. Unconditionally. I  reject him. As a scoundrel.  You, on the other hand, look at Hillary with the same sort of disdain that I look at Trump. As a people, as citizens, as voters, we are divided. Look at the results of this election. Objectively. Trump won the electoral vote. Hillary won the popular vote. What does that tell you? Yes, we are a sharply divided nation. Almost 50-50. And it’s imperative that we come together. In a bipartisan way. But Trump is putting together an agenda and a cabinet that only serves to divide us more.  Trump is out to ramrod his way through. Only in a manner that suits his ego. Otherwise, he’d try to bring feuding factions together. He’d name some Democrats and liberals and independents to his cabinet. He’d force liberals  and conservatives to work together. He’d name non-politicians to his cabinet. Maybe a respected clergyman, a respected philosopher, a respected poet. He might even appoint an ex-president, such as Obama, to the Supreme Court. He might even bring Hillary into his panel of advisors. But no, no.  He taunts Hillary. And says she belongs in jail. That she’s a crook. Trump is all bluster. A showman. He seeks fame. Celebrity. Controversy. He refuses to compromise. With the other side. Maybe the same would go with Hillary. If she had won. I don’t know. But I know what Trump and his transition team are doing. And I don’t like it. Because Trump is further dividing us. Makes me sick. To my stomach. In spirit, too. Makes me depressed. Melancholic.  But yes, I will get on with life. Just like I did. When dear Jeanne died of Alzheimer’s. Worse things have happened to me. Than having to live in a divided nation. I’ll survive. As a whole and dynamic and loving human being. Because I must. I know my priorities.   I don’t allow politics to rob me of my true friends. You are one of them, dear Rosie. Friendship is bigger and more profound than politics. Thank gawd for that. --Jim Broede

No comments: