Friday, December 23, 2016

Tough decisions.

Problem is. One can care too much. To the point of being spread thin. One becomes exhausted. From overload. Physically. Mentally. Emotionally. That spells trouble. One must recognize. That one can’t be all things to all people. One must make tough decisions.  Such as taking care of one’s self. Or one won’t be fit to care for others.  My dear Jeanne. With Alzheimer’s. Was in dire need of care. So was my elderly mother. In a city 300 miles away. Had to make a choice. Jeanne came first. Mother had to be relegated to another care-giver, my niece. I never felt guilty about that. Having recognized my limits.  And the circumstances.  Recognized that to be a decent and capable care-giver, I had to choose one or the other.  It was not a heart-wrenching decision. Because there was no doubt. Jeanne was my true love. The dearest and most important person in my life. Mother ranked second. Fortunately,  my mind was eased. Because my niece would be there for mother.  No need to go on a guilt trip. Yes, I’m good at avoiding guilt. After all, I’m aware. That I can’t be there for everyone in their moment of dire need. I can only do so much. And still retain my composure, my strength, my sanity. No reason to feel guilty about that. --Jim Broede

No comments: