Wednesday, February 22, 2017

My arrogance.

Sometimes, I think of myself as a glorified and exotic animal. Sure. I’m pegged as a human being. At the top rung in the animal kingdom. More intelligent than my pet cat, Marcello.  But still, I’m physically constructed similar to other mammals. I function much like dear Marcello. But with a higher level of intelligence and consciousness. But there’s a limit on our life spans. Marcello and I are born. And we inevitably die. Our bodies return to dust, or nothingness. Except maybe I’m different from Marcello. In respect to my yearning. To live forever. To envisage a future. Perhaps in spirit form. I doubt that Marcello has similar thoughts.  He simply goes through the motions of living and dying. Without establishing an organized religion or a spiritual reality. Marcello doesn’t think of life in the Great Beyond. Though some argue.  That animals have souls. Frankly, I don’t know. Other than to declare, I’d rather be me. A glorified animal. Better  that. Than a mere Marcello.  The difference. I’m arrogant. Able to imagine and contemplate a future. --Jim Broede

No comments: