Thursday, February 23, 2017

My exotic world.

I’m elated. Thrilled. Jumping with joy.  Celebrating the possibility of life on seven Earth-size planets orbiting a tiny star. Yes, it’s all too far away to visit.  Actually, 235 trillion miles. It would take 40 years to reach these planets. Traveling at the phenomenal  speed of light -- 186,000 miles per second. But I might be able to catapult there. In less time. By achieving my dream of some day becoming a sprightly, fast-moving spirit. With the ability to explore the cosmos. In the same deft manner as the original creator.  Anyway, I read about this discovery today. In my favorite newspaper, the New York Times. Astronomers said that at least three of the planets, and maybe all, could be at the right temperature to have oceans of water. The ingredients for life. The closely clustered planets orbit a ‘dwarf star’ named Trappist-1. Think of our sun as a basketball. And Trappist-1 as a golf ball. That’s an apt comparison.  Meanwhile, I have an overwhelming desire.  When I go to bed tonight. To dream of an exotic world. Of seven planets. Teeming with life. --Jim Broede

No comments: