Friday, February 17, 2017

The place to be.

I have a soft spot. In my heart. For our 11 million illegal immigrants.  I’d not round them up. For deportation. Instead, I’d look the other way.  And encourage them to stay. And become American citizens. I’m assuming. That the vast majority of the immigrants came. In search of a life better than the one they had in their homelands. I hope they’ve found it. It would be cruel to send them back. Especially the ones that are settled. And happy. Of course, it could be argued, that they should have come by legal means.  But let's be kind and forgiving Americans. I’m also for letting in big numbers of refugees. They are likely to appreciate America. Let them follow in the footsteps of many of our ancestors. Including my paternal grandfather, who sneaked in illegally at the turn of the 20th century. Fortunately, he wasn’t rounded up and sent back to Germany. Instead, he quickly fell in love with America. An easy thing to do. After all, we are a melting pot of many nationalities. Little wonder. America is the place to be. In one’s pursuit of happiness. Yes, let’s keep it that way. --Jim Broede

No comments: