Thursday, February 2, 2017

There's no stopping me.

I become. By imagining. What I want to be. A romantic idealist. A spiritual free-thinker. A political liberal. A writer. A lover. A dreamer. Yes, it all starts. With my imagination. Often, the first step is to dream dreams. I go in hot pursuit of my most cherished fantasies. That’s how I became a writer. As a youngster. In the sixth grade. I started publishing a neighborhood newspaper. Focusing on writing. News and feature stories. Some of satirical nature. About my neighbors. Of course, I needed the tools of my craft. A typewriter. So I asked my parents for one. And suddenly there it was. Under the Christmas tree. I also commandeered a gelatin printer. Called a hectograph. From which I ran off copies of the Riverlawn Gazette. Selling for a penny a copy. But I became rich. From fabulous tips. And garnered much attention. In my hometown. Yes, I was off to a newspaper career. By not only imagining what I wanted to be. But by actually doing it. Of course, it all needed a beginning. A seed. Planted in my mind. Other seeds were quick to follow. The best seed of all. Has sprouted in my eternal soul. Here I am. A full-fledged spiritual free-thinker. Who’d have thought? I could become. Anything. In the realm of my boundless imagination. Even a lover. And a romantic idealist. There’s no stopping me. --Jim Broede

No comments: