Sunday, March 12, 2017

A two-way street.

Used to be. That I looked with complete disdain. On people who didn’t share my views on political, social and economic matters. That was a long time ago. Before I learned to respect. Just about anyone. Even if they voted for Donald Trump. Yes, I owe respect.  Even to terrorists. Even to white supremacists. Even to Republicans. Yes, even to so-called scumbags. Of course, it’s one thing to mouth open-mindedness. Another to live it. To practice what one preaches.  I confess. I don’t always reach my goal. Perfection eludes me. Always has. Always will. Let’s put it this way. I’ve edged from complete distain. To moderate disdain. I’ll listen to anyone. I’ll try to grasp where they are coming from. Without necessarily accepting their premises. Meanwhile, it would be nice. If they backed away from total disdain of me. And listened, too. True understanding, after all, is a two-way street. It takes work. To keep an open mind. --Jim Broede

No comments: