Thursday, March 23, 2017

Let me stay awake, please.

My biggest concern. When I went in for surgery. On my left carotid artery. Was being anesthetized. t was knocked out. For two hours. I’d rather have stayed awake. With the benefit of a local anesthesia that deadens feeling in my neck. Even if I have to endure some degree of pain. And watch the bloody  slitting of my precious neck.  In order to reach my equally precious carotid. No surprise. Most physician, if not all,  prefer  general anesthesia. It’s more convenient and less cumbersome to have an unconscious patient. That includes my highly competent vascular surgeon.  My fear of anesthesia  dates to when I was a screaming 5-year-old.  Having a tonsillectomy.  They placed a mask over my terror-stricken face. And pumped in foul-smelling ether. Of course, now they have more sophisticated ways to administer anesthesia. With an IV. And promises of a drifting off to Paradise.  But that doesn’t make me any less leery of modern day anesthesia.  Maybe they have long-term negative side effects. Triggering dementia. Better to be safe than sorry. Wife Jeanne, who died nine years ago of Alzheimer’s, had two hip replacement surgeries. In a six-month period. Her dementia came on then. If I ever have a hip replacement. I’ll stay awake. To watch and to offer surgical advice --Jim

No comments: