Saturday, November 4, 2017

Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.

Living as a 24/7 Alzheimer caregiver. Yes. Yes. That can be easily construed as a dysfunctional situation. Certainly, it’s not normal. But I tried to make it functional. Really, without success. Initially. I was unable to take adequate care of Jeanne and myself. All at the same time. When I was on a 24/7 schedule. It was impossible. I was stretched thin. I was mentally and physically exhausted. Out of sorts. Basically dysfunctional. Wasn’t until I put Jeanne into a nursing home, that I became reasonably functional. I was able to remain as a dedicated and untiring on-the-scene caregiver. For 8 to 10 hours a day now. For 38 straight months. Tending to Jeanne. Without missing a single day. Sure beats those unrelenting 24-hour shifts. I had help. From others. Including the nursing home staff. I was captain of the team. Jeanne’s advocate and protector. I saw to it that everything went right. I gave Jeanne a daily shower. Hand-fed her in the quiet privacy of her room. Face to face.  Daily outings of six miles and more. In a custom-made  wheelchair. Yes. Yes. It all added up. To what I call very functional good vibes therapy. Not only for Jeanne. But for myself. I went home. For my respite. Every night. After tucking Jeanne into bed. Ah, such sweet relief. And peace of mind. Everyone was reasonably functional again. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. There's always a way. --Jim Broede

No comments: