Thursday, August 9, 2007

Better than getting all wrapped up in a ball game...

Yes, the Cubs are in a funk. A very bad time. A losing streak. They can’t do anything right. Now, if I allow that to affect me in a negative way, I’d go into a funk, too. I can’t control how the Cubs play. But I can control the way I react to it. I can choose to keep the Cubs at a relatively safe distance. By not watching the games. And by not even checking the scores, at least until the games are safely over. Then I will not have invested the time and the emotions in wishing for an outcome as the game progresses. I’m much wiser investing that time in some activity over which I have some semblance of control. For instance, I can go for a walk and enjoy the sunny weather and observe nature or listen to music or read a book or the newspaper or converse with a friend. That gives me a sense of taking control of my life in a positive, upbeat way. I sit down at my computer and stimulate my mind. By jotting down this thought and making myself reasonably happy. And relaxed. Better than getting all wrapped up in a ball game that would leave me disappointed and, yes, maybe even a little depressed. --Jim Broede

No comments: