Thursday, August 9, 2007

That's my nature...loyal to the end.

Boy, I tell you, some days it’s rough being a romantic idealist, a free-thinker, a liberal and a lover. Makes me happy. But for being myself, right here in this blog, I was called (see the comments section) evil and an atheist and told, “screw you.” I guess I got all that for speaking my mind. For brooding honestly.

I try to be kind and understanding. And not offensive. I think that’s generally reflected in this blog. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. I'm open to dissenting views. I like it that the blog has had almost 1,000 hits since it debuted last Sunday. Not a bad start. Keep spreading the word, folks. It would make me happy if visitors to this site would read me from beginning to end – to get an idea of what I’m all about. That’s better than just scanning here and there. I don't like being taken out of context

I’m really a nice guy. Maybe some would consider calling me an old coot. I don't mind. I’m 71. But I’m still very active physically and mentally. I walk 10 miles a day. I write this blog, and my intent is to post on it daily. Trying to keep it fresh. I also write a daily journal. And I’ve got another web site called the Broede Bugle (http://www.broede.org/), which tells of a highly successful search for my ancestors. I’ve traced my father’s side of the family back to the 1600s in Germany and Switzerland.

It’s also worth mentioning that I’m in love. With life, period. I’m alive and very conscious of that fact. And I spent the past 13 years as care-giver to the love of my life, dear Jeanne. She died Jan. 18. Alzheimer’s. A devastating loss. We were together for almost 40 years, and in that time we were separated for only 10 days.

Contrary to a report here that I’m an atheist, I’m really a free-thinker. Like Thomas Jefferson. You might call me a free-lance monotheist. I even attend a liberal Christian seminary from time to time. To stimulate my spiritual mind. I believe in an after-life and a spirit world. I commune with Jeanne’s spirit daily. I’m still in love with Jeanne. Unconditionally. And I expect that love to last forever. That's my nature...loyal to the end.

I’m a writer. Have been all my life. Mostly for newspapers. I retired after 29 years with the daily St. Paul Pioneer Press in Minnesota. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

Keep posting, folks. Your opinions and questions and comments are welcome. I promise you I'll brood every day. It's good to brood. Have you notced that I also have my own definition for 'brooding'? A very positive one. As many of you know, I'm positive by nature. --Jim