Friday, August 10, 2007

Why I'm a free-thinker.

I think there's good in virtually all religions. Some stuff that's not so good, too. That's why I'm a free-thinker. I don't link myself to one particular organized or orthodox religion. I like to be free to think in a way that seems natural. About god. I like to carry on conversations with god. Directly. One on one. I think of god as a buddy. As a friend. God tells me there are many ways to salvation. Many, many ways. That it's all right to be a Christian or a Jew or a Muslim or a Hindu or a Buddhist. Even an atheist. God saves 'em all. Believers and non-believers. Anyway, I'm sort of a free-lance monotheist. I like Christians. I was one for a while. I was brought up as a Christian. I was even a church deacon (in a Congregational Church). I graduated from a church-related college. I like to talk to theologians and professors at Christian seminaries. I like Jesus. I see him as one of the greatest people who ever lived. Not divine. But inspiring. A great teacher. A great philosopher. I often ask myself, "What would Jesus do?" It helps me make decisions. I think Jesus was more a free-thinker than a "Christian" per se. I think Jesus would be disappointed in modern-day Christianity. He'd be disappointed in the church. I think Jesus would encourage more of us to become free-thinkers. To learn to think for ourselves. And to become lovers. Genuine lovers. Of life. And each other. --Jim Broede

No comments: