Saturday, August 11, 2007

That's all I can do...

We don’t ever really fix the economic, social and political problems that plague our society. We just make minor alterations. The whites remain the privileged. And the fact that we made a token concession salves our white consciences. We tell ourselves that we have moved a little bit in the right direction. But that’s hogwash. We never come close to achieving a society where true equality prevails. Because we whites relish being privileged. Many of us really think that we deserve to be privileged. Because of the fact that we are privileged. That makes us superior. Because we’ve learned to dominate. To survive. Survival of the fittest. We’ve crawled to the top of the heap, so to speak. Doesn’t matter how we did it. Doesn’t matter that on the way we enslaved dark-skinned people and doesn’t matter that when we so gallantly “freed” the oppressed we still denied them basic civil and human rights, and still do to some significant degree. And doesn’t matter that when we established our grand America, which we so resolutely brag as a shining example of democracy and goodness for all – well, we don’t stop to think that we did it all by essentially wiping out the entire Native American population. And we justify that act by saying that we are the bringers of good. Yes, onward. We Christian soldiers. Fighting for goodness. Even today we think of ourselves as god’s gift to humanity. We pat ourselves on the back for civilizing the world. For bringing good white values to mankind. For being kind and loving. So, forgive me if I don’t buy all that crap. All I can say is that from my perspective we as a society as a whole have dreadfully failed. We have a long, long way to go to achieve what the likes of Jesus and god had in mind for us. Meanwhile, I’ll retreat to my cocoon and practice loving my fellow human beings one by one. Individually. That’s all I can do...try to respect and love the limited number of people that come directly into my life. --Jim Broede

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim--You and I could probably talk about the issue of prejudice until the cows come home.

I say that skin color and national origin are not the issues that they used to be...and...You say that is not enough. As a society we should do more.

If doing more means paying reparations to the ancestors of ex-slaves, we are on different sides of the fence. My relatives never owned slaves...They were not even in the US until the early 1900's...They had to deal with a certain amount of prejudice. The thought of using any of my tax money to right a wrong that neither me not mine contributed to is offensive to me.

If your concept of doing more is attempting to stop future wrongs from occurring and what you outlined below "respecting ..etc.", we are are in agreement except that I tend to be a bit stingy in the area of love.

Broede's Broodings said...

Cherie:

I think we modern-day Americans have a moral obligation to keep righting the wrongs committed by our nation in the past. We've been doing that on racial matters. But we haven't gone far enough yet. I guess that's all I'm saying. I know that if I had been born the exact same person I am now, but I had been born black instead -- well, I wouldn't be the same guy. My whole life experience would have been dramatically different, and probably not for the better, just because of my skin color. As a white man, I've been privileged. Wouldn't have been that way if I had been black. I would have been more or less oppressed. Not treated as well. --Jim Broede

P.S. From what I know of you, you aren't stingy in the area of love. And you're polite and courteous, too. And likeable.

Anonymous said...

Broede's Broodings said...
I know that if I had been born the exact same person I am now, but I had been born black instead -- well, I wouldn't be the same guy. My whole life experience would have been dramatically different, and probably not for the better, just because of my skin color. As a white man, I've been privileged. Wouldn't have been that way if I had been black. I would have been more or less oppressed. Not treated as well. -




Same could be true, if you were born a woman.