Thursday, September 20, 2007

I'm gonna take it...and be forever grateful

I always found ways to exercise Jeanne’s mind. And I wonder if that may be one reason why Jeanne lived for 13 years with dementia. And thrived in so many meaningful ways. She still understood my spoken words right up to the end. At least, pretty much so. She got the gist. She knew me. She was happy. Contented. At peace, it seemed. She talked. Sometimes in gibberish. But happy gibberish. She was polite. Courteous. Responsive. In other words, Jeanne wasn’t doing too badly. I was happy with her progress in the later years. Is it possible that my efforts to stimulate Jeanne’s mind reaped dividends. I talked to Jeanne. Daily. One-on-one. Face-to-face. I showed affection. Demonstratively. Daily. Jeanne listened to soothing music. Tranquil music. Lots of Mozart. Jeanne attended live music programs at Birchwood. Jeanne got fresh air romps in the wheelchair. Daily. Jeanne got nighttime showers, and body massages. Daily. I brought Jeanne home for a few hours. Most days. Especially in the spring and summer and early fall. I tried to make Jeanne’s day virtually stress-free. Oh, I also read aloud to Jeanne. Stories. Slowly. And I was funny. I make Jeanne laugh. I reminded Jeanne daily that I’m in love. With her. Jeanne was at Birchwood for 38 months. And I was there, too. Never missed a day. And before Birchwood, I played mental games with Jeanne. Simple games. Meant to make Jeanne think. An example: when riding in the car, I’d place maybe a dozen items on the dashboard. And then I’d name an item, and ask Jeanne to pick it up. A comb. A penny. A key chain. A book. A pencil. A pen. A paper clip. And I’d ask Jeanne simple questions. Again, just to keep her mind active. I don’t know if this did any good. But maybe it slowed the progression of dementia. Anyway, it seems to me that Jeanne survived longer than most. In relatively good condition. I like the Jeanne I had during this time. And yes, she’s still with me. In spirit. I still count my blessing – having Jeanne this way. Dear, dear wonderful Jeanne. I never lost Jeanne. And I wonder if that’s just plain good luck. Or a gift from god. Doesn’t matter. I’m gonna take it…and be forever grateful. --Jim Broede

No comments: