Thursday, September 20, 2007

Jeanne was the exception...not the rule.

It’s sad that some of us have bad nursing home experiences. Despite our best efforts. Even great efforts. To try to make it work. I feel the pain of those who fail. I understand why they are bitter. And why they castigate nursing homes. Because their experience has been bad, bad, bad. Horrific, in some instances. But I made Birchwood work. For me. For Jeanne. And so my experience wasn’t bad. Oh, I’m not happy with nursing homes in general. But I tried to make Birchwood a positive experience. I worked to make it work. And I’m proud of that. If I had entered with a defeatist attitude it might have been different. I might have failed. But I wouldn’t accept failure when it came to dear Jeanne. I learned how to deal with the system. To make the best of it. I made friends with the staff. With other care-givers. With Birchwood residents. They all became my extended family. Turned out to be a very positive experience. It didn’t start out good. I had run-ins with some staff members. But we resolved our differences. And Jeanne got better in meaningful ways. Because she got good care. The care she needed. Through a team effort. I was the team leader. Yes, it’s possible for an individual, someone like me, to make a difference in a nursing home. A big, big difference. I’m proud of how we worked with and helped each other – for Jeanne’s sake. I think we set a fine example. If everyone got the same care as Jeanne, we’d have a first rate nursing home. We’d have a nursing home that the dementia patients deserve. Unfortunately, Jeanne was the exception…not the rule. --Jim Broede

No comments: