Thursday, September 20, 2007

No guarantees.

Heck, I’m not proselytizing. I’m just telling Alzheimer care-givers of my experience. What worked for me. And for Jeanne. And for some other folks at Birchwood. It’s always been a take it or leave it proposition. I’ve repeatedly stated that. I’m not foisting my ways on anyone. Heck, no. I think of proselytizing applying mostly in a religious context. People who try to convert people to their religion. And I don’t do that. I let people know I’m a free-thinker. Usually, when they try to convert me to their religion. I’m for freedom of choice. And when I talk about good vibes therapy, I’m not talking religion. I’m talking about a method of care available to care-givers. One of many methods. And I’m just telling how it works. In my situation. Try it if you like. But it’s no skin off my back if you don’t. I’m not saying or implying that what one does is wrong. I assume that everybody tries to find something that works. And if it doesn’t work – well, try something else until it works. No harm in that, right? I advance my way for frustrated care-givers who aren’t succeeding. And I’m saying then maybe they could try good vibes therapy. That is, if they haven’t already tried it. In that sense, I’m trying to be helpful. Considerate. I’m not saying convert, and do it my way. Instead, I’m saying my way is an alternative way. An option. Maybe it’ll work for you. And maybe it won’t. No guarantees. –Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

Folks:

I have yet to see good vibes and a positive outlook hurt anyone. But I have seen good vibes and a positive outlook help some. As for bad vibes and a negative outlook, I’ve seen how they are sometimes harmful. That’s my personal experience. And I share it. I suppose it’s a little like prayer. Who knows? Maybe it’s helpful. But it ain’t harmful, right? So, do it if you want. The same goes for good vibes therapy. Some of us advocate the use of medication. Drugs. That’s fine. That’s one way, one method for dealing with problems associated with dementia and Alzheimer’s. Sometimes the drugs bring benefits. Sometimes, they don’t. We experiment to find out. We share methods, a whole variety of therapeutic methods, that work for us. Some say, read books. Well, that’s fine, too. Some advocate in-home therapy. The 24/7 approach. Some think assisted living and nursing homes are the best alternatives. There are so many, many approaches. Yes, we’re sharing approaches. To coping. To dealing with dementia. With mental illness. With craziness. With the pitfalls of life. That ain’t proselytizing. It’s called sharing experiences. But if one tries to convert me to Christianity, that’s proselytizing. –Jim Broede