Wednesday, September 19, 2007

It ain't a physical thing.

Look at it this way. Dementia patients don’t lose their souls or their spirits. Instead, they only lose their minds. The souls and inner spirits remain intact. Even after death, or so I assume. Therefore, it’s possible to address the soul and spirit of our loved ones. Any time. Before and after death. And even when they are in a comatose state. Even when they have seemingly gone crazy. Wacko. When they no longer seem to be themselves. For me, that’s another reason to embrace good vibes therapy. If it does nothing else, the good vibes may reach the soul, the inner spirit. When I talk to someone who isn’t with it mentally, I still talk to them. In a spiritual way. With good vibes. It’s a mystical sort of thing. Oh, one can tell me technical things about frontal lobes and this and that part of the brain. But tell me, where do we find the soul? The inner spirit? It ain’t a physical thing. --Jim Broede

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They don't lose their "minds" Jim, only their "memory" and yes, I agree they are still "reachable" even when they appear not to be.

I believe that none of us see our Loved Ones as "crazy" or "Wacko", just confused.

Again you offend with the words you use.

Broede's Broodings said...

Dear Anonymous:

I guess I consider memory to be part of the mind. If one loses memory, one loses a vital part of one's mind.

And from what I read on the Alzheimer's message boards, I do think that some care-givers see their loved ones as 'crazy' and 'wacko.' In a negative sense. And that's unfortunate. But it happens. And when it happens, maybe it's time for the care-giver to step aside and leave the care-giving role to others. --Jim Broede

P.S. I sometimes think of myself as crazy and wacko. But in a positive way. Sometimes I feel delightfully crazy or delightfully wacko. That's possible, you know.