Wednesday, September 19, 2007

...luck and blessings.

Think about it. The way one changes the system and brings about improvement is by starting small. Bit by bit. One on one. One deals with the individuals that enter one’s life. Those at Birchwood, the nursing home, for instance. I tried to make life better for Jeanne. And for other residents. In little ways. Little ways that add up. It’s a little bit like a marriage. I’ve had only one marriage. But I’ve made a success of it. Some people -- well, they try marriage. And they get divorced. Once. Twice. They don’t make a go of it. Well, I try to make a go of it. A success. Whether it be in a marriage, a job, or as a care-giver. I wasn’t out to make all marriages better. Just my marriage. I set an example. If others wanted to follow, fine. If not, that’s their choice. The same goes with a job. I think I excelled at my jobs as a writer. Again, I set an example. If others wanted to follow, that’s fine. If not, that’s fine, too. And as a care-giver, I had my specially-tailored approach. And it worked. For me. For Jeanne. For others at Birchwood. Again, I set an example. If others followed, I think it would improve the health care system. Overall. But I can’t force anyone to follow. Yes, I set the example. I don’t compel anyone to follow in my footsteps. All I can say is that I feel I’ve had a successful career at work as a writer, in marriage and in my role as care-giver. Makes me feel reasonably good. And happy. And I wish the rest of you the same sort of luck and blessings. –Jim Broede

No comments: