Monday, September 17, 2007

It made me good vibes happy.

Maybe my good vibes are special good vibes. Because they worked. Not only on Jeanne, but on many, many others at Birchwood, the nursing home. As for Jeanne, she got good vibes all the time. Or at least what I consider to be good vibes. Now, if 10 percent bad vibes had been mixed in, maybe that would have negated the good vibes. I don’t know. I never cared to find out. I created a special environment for Jeanne. An environment in which she felt safe and secure and loved. And virtually free of stress. Oh, she got so much special attention. Hand-fed meals. Daily outdoor rides in the wheelchair. A nightly shower and body massage. Frequent kisses. Words of encouragement and praise. Soothing music. I took her home, too, for visits of a few hours. Often to sit on the lakeshore. The list goes on and on. A list of good vibes. I didn’t allow any bad vibes, period. At least not during the 8-10 hours I spent with Jeanne daily. Yes, I tried to create a good vibes paradise. An ideal environment. And yes, this may be impractical for other Alzheimer care-givers. Maybe for most of ‘em. But I’m telling the world, it worked. For me. For Jeanne. I practiced my good vibes therapy on others at Birchwood. Of course, not as extensively as I did with Jeanne. But even that worked. I appointed one of the residents (Leona) director of happiness. And she took the job seriously. She tried her best to spread happiness. She looked for sourpusses, and then tried to make them smile. I loved to watch Leona work. It was a pleasure. It made me good vibes happy. –Jim Broede

No comments: