Monday, September 17, 2007

...a wheelchair romp up and down the hallway.

Every day during my 38 months and one day at Birchwood (the nursing home where Jeanne lived) I worked to make the system better. With little acts of kindness. Not just for Jeanne. But for other residents. Picked at random. One day, for instance, I marveled at how Margaret walked the hallways. Bent over. And ever so slowly. One end to the other. And sometimes, she maneuvered in a wheelchair. Turning the wheels by hand. Again, ever so slowly. But she was persistent. This was her life. Her joy. She didn’t speak much. Only a few words here and there. And an occasional smile. She’s in her 80s. Came to Birchwood before Jeanne. And she’s still there. Seldom has visitors. Often, I spared 10 minutes. When Jeanne was taking a nap. And I pushed Margaret in a wheelchair. Up and down the hallway. Fast. Fast. Fast. And when we turned, it was fast turns. Like a tilt-a-whirl at an amusement park. And I saw the look of delight on Margaret’s face. Yes, I brought moments of joy to Margaret. I made life a little bit better for someone in a nursing home. And I still do it. From time to time. I return to Birchwood. I’ll go again tomorrow. Yes, I’ll be kind to someone living at Birchwood. That’s how I work to improve the health care system. The one at Birchwood. Where I am still a presence. Not as much as when Jeanne was there. But I still try to make it a better place, a better system. Maybe in little ways. I’m trying to set an example. For others. We’d have a much better health care system if individuals performed little acts of kindness. It doesn’t take long. Only 10 minutes with Margaret. That makes Margaret’s day in a big, big way. Margaret isn’t walking any more. But she still enjoys a wheelchair romp up and down the hallway. –Jim Broede

No comments: