Wednesday, October 31, 2007

And she fell asleep with a happy smile on her face.

There are nice ways to remind dementia patients that they are forgetful. By reminding them politely of things you want 'em to remember. Repetition helps. I often explained to Jeanne that she had a disease that made her forget things. And that's why I was with her daily. To help remind her of things. Not the least being that I loved her. And would never abandon her. Sometimes, I'd remind her of that 10 or 20 times in a day. And I told Jeanne in terms that she could understand, that she had a one-track mind. And so it was important to deal with one thought or one task at a time. To try to do more would be confusing. Sort of like a train track, I told Jeanne. If there's a single track with only one train on it, things will go smoothly. But if there are 2 or 3 or 4 trains on the same track, look out. There may be a collision. Confusion. I explained that Jeanne's mind was similar to a train track. Keep only one train of thought on that track. And when Jeanne went to bed at night, I suggested to Jeanne that the thought as she falls asleep should be that she's happy. I said Jeanne didn't have to know why she was happy -- just being happy was good enough. And she fell asleep with a happy smile on her face. --Jim Broede

5 comments:

Broede's Broodings said...

Folks:

One thing that amazes me are the occasional utterly stupid and inane comments submitted for publication in this blog. Makes one wonder about the quality of education in America. In most instances, I screen them out. Please, if you want to get something published in this blog, try to be somewhat coherent. Someone in Stage 7 of Alzheimer's could do better than some of you. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

Why not just ignore them?

Broede's Broodings said...

Anonymous:

To be honest about it, anonymous, I do pretty much ignore the asinine comments. I think there are something like 23 or 24 of 'em now in the unpublished file. Ones that didn't meet the guidelines. Mostly because they are utterly stupid and filled with factual errors. --Jim Broede

Anonymous said...

no jimbo I am a betting person and I beat those unpublished comments are simply stating facts you don't want others to see,

Broede's Broodings said...

Dear Anonymous:

You gals sure know how to get censored, banned and suspended on the Alzheimer's message boards. At least in my blog, I give you a little more leeway. I don't ban or suspend any of you. Instead, I just try to educate you. I try to pick you gals up out of the gutter, and clean you up, and feed you words of wisdom. I'm really very kind to you. By censoring you I keep you from making complete fools of yourselves. Just call me Mr. Nice Guy. Mr. Considerate. With a bit of refining, some of you gals could become decent human beings. --Jim Broede