Sunday, October 14, 2007

Do your thing...and I'll do my thing.

I'm not mocking Alzheimer care-givers, or anyone. Instead, I'm just telling folks what I do. What I feel. How I dealt with my role as dear sweet Jeanne’s care-giver over the years. I’m not saying anyone has to follow in my footsteps. I’m just saying what I did, and that for me it worked. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to work for others. Again, I’m just citing my experience. My way. My attitude. My perspective. It’s take it or leave it stuff. It's all right to conclude that it's pie-in-the-sky stuff. That other situations are quite different than mine. That’s fine. No reason to get pissed. I've heard many relate their failures, too. Their frustrations. Well, I relate mostly successes. And my relative happiness. I hope that sooner or later everyone finds fulfillment as care-givers, and in life. Sure, I've failed, too. Many times. But the secret of success is to learn from the failures. I learned to cope with Alzheimer’s. Fairly well. Not perfectly by any means. Took an attitude adjustment. Some positive and upbeat thinking. Readapting my life. Significantly. In order to be more helpful and understanding and loving of dear Jeanne. That’s all folks. That’s all I did. For those who don’t like the way I share -- well, then write me off. You don’t have to pay me attention. Ignore me. I don’t place any demands on you. Do your thing...and I'll do my thing. --Jim Broede

No comments: