Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Grow a thick skin and laugh it off.

Imagine that. A gal labeled the "village idiot" by Larry the Cable Guy has raised a fuss. Doesn't surprise me. Because Larry is sort of a low life. A name-caller. Actually, Larry did it in the comments section of this blog. I thought for a while about editing/censoring Larry's comment. But I didn't. I guess because I don't let name-calling bother me. I've been called lots of names over the years by the Alzheimer's Ladies Aid Society. Stupid. Cruel. Troll. The Evil One. Atheist. Jerk. And even a bunch of 4-letter epithets not customarily allowed in a high-quality family-oriented blog such as this one. Anyway, I guess I take a rather tolerant approach. I let people call me nasty and derogatory names and to hurl blatant insults at me. Because I've got a thick skin and a thick head. I just draw the line when somebody wants to beat me up. Then I run away. I treasure my body. I treat it like a temple. You can call me any name you want. But please, no physical abuse. As for the lady offended by Larry's name-calling, I'd suggest do as I do. Grow a thick skin and laugh it off. --Jim Broede

1 comment:

Broede's Broodings said...

Oh, I call Larry an example of a "low life" because he dares call someone a "village idiot." I really don't approve of name-calling. But I understand why Larry does it. He believes in fighting fire with fire. In other words, he lowers himself to call name-callers all sorts of names. Gives 'em a taste of their own medicine, and they don't like it. I try to set a better example for Larry. I just let the names fall off my thick skin and I laugh it off, rather than retaliate. That is, with rare exception. I admit that I've called name-callers guttersnipes. But hey, the devil made me do it. In one of my weaker moments. --Jim Broede