Tuesday, October 9, 2007

To see if it makes a significant difference.

As a care-giver, I learned what's most important: the patient. And I'm dedicated to being an advocate and protector of patients. Moreso even than advocate and protector of care-givers. Hard as it may be to accept, some patients need protection from their care-givers. And that is primarily why I stay on, rather than move on. At least in nursing homes, the care-givers are required to have training. Certification. Required to come to work in decent shape. Unfortunately, too many 24/7 in-home care-givers are bent out of shape, mentally and emotionally and physically. And that's not good for the patient. It can be downright harmful. And I want to call attention to such problems. It's a situation that has been ignored for too long. And I'm gonna keep working to improve conditions for Alzheimer patients. Because far too many of 'em aren't getting the care they deserve. And I plan to take my case to the Minnesota Health Department. Where I hope to enlist support. Maybe for training programs for 24/7 in-home care-givers. Maybe for programs that provide assistance, and opportunities for respite. I've already talked to state inspectors about my proposal for an experimental nursing home, where all of the Alzheimer patients in the memory care unit would receive extensive supplemental care, beyond what they normally receive. To see if it makes a significant difference. --Jim Broede

No comments: