Sunday, October 14, 2007

...this feeling that I was doing the right thing.

A year ago, Jeanne was still very much alive. Residing at Birchwood, the nursing home. And I was still very much in love. And happy to be Jeanne's care-giver. And I pondered on the Alzheimer's message boards that in some ways the past few years had been very good, despite Alzheimer's in our lives. Because Jeanne and I were truly wrapped up in each other. Savoring each other. And living each day to the fullest.

Well, I was taken to task on the message boards for my positive stance. By none other than a member of the Ladies Aid Society. Mama’s Friend (Bonnie) wrote: “...to say that these are the best years of poor Jeanne's life is atrocious.”

Now, that's what I call negative thinking. It's an example of how the Ladies Aid Society tried to pollute a perfectly respectable and decent thread. Stirring the pot, so to speak. Maybe in an effort to get the thread deleted.

It's an example of how Bonnie distorted what I had said. I never said that these are the best years of poor Jeanne’s life. Instead, what I said is that I felt fulfilled being Jeanne’s care-giver. More so than at any time in my life. That I felt fulfilled in trying to give Jeanne unconditional love. I was trying to ease Jeanne through what otherwise could be a horrendous period in her life. By being with Jeanne. Daily. By doing nice things for Jeanne. By showing love. Adoration. Respect. Compassion. Loyalty. Friendship. Faith. Trust. I wanted Jeanne to have the sense that I would never abandon her. That I truly loved her. With all my heart. With my gut. With my soul. I was saying that I was relatively happy. Doing what I was doing. Being Jeanne’s care-giver. It was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Made me feel I was doing something worthwhile. Out of love. Something more worthwhile even than my career as a writer. I love writing. But I loved Jeanne even more. Maybe that’s a hard concept for the likes of a Bonnie to grasp. But hey, that's me. A free-thinker. A believer. A monotheist. And a romantic idealist. I loved Jeanne unconditionally. In such a way that I felt fulfilled. Overwhelmed by this fantastic notion of love...this feeling that I was doing the right thing. --Jim Broede

No comments: