Saturday, October 27, 2007

...very, very sad, isn't it?

I guess what I’m suggesting, is that the care-giver I quoted in the "Very sad, isn't it" thread below this one is in deep trouble. And so is her husband, the patient. She acknowledges that her husband has been getting violent with her. And she admits that she feels “disgust” towards him. That ain’t good, folks, on either end. Sounds like it’s a situation that’s rapidly deteriorating. Getting out of hand. For both of ‘em. One of these days, the husband could beat up his wife. Maybe even kill her. And the wife, well, she seems almost ready to flip out. A nervous breakdown could be around the corner. Now, I think the wife is well-intentioned. She genuinely wants to do what’s best for her husband. And she thinks that means keeping him at home. While she continues as his 24/7 care-giver. That’s admirable. But it may be foolish. My argument is that everyone may be better off if the husband went into assisted living, or a nursing home. He’d get professional care. Meanwhile, the wife could visit him as often as she wishes. Maybe daily. And she’d also be able to get daily respite. I’d encourage the wife to listen to reason. To consider her alternatives. Unfortunately, she already may be in a state of mind that makes her irrational. And yes, indeed, that’s very, very sad, isn’t it? –Jim Broede

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can never possibly understand the relationship of a wife to her husband. Why do you pretend to?

Anonymous said...

Oooops, didn't get to finish. I also meant to say that it is clear, that you do not understand.

Broede's Broodings said...

Anonymous:

This is certainly a strained relationship. I understand that much. Little wonder. It ain't easy coping with Alzheimer's. --Jim Broede

Broede's Broodings said...

I see that the woman I'm talking about in this thread is getting a break. Going to the seaside with her daughter. And without her husband. That's a good sign. She needs to rejuvenate. Yes, respite. It's important for every care-giver. I pity the poor 24/7 care-givers who never get a break. --Jim Broede