Saturday, November 3, 2007

...the greatest stress-reliever of all.

I tried to create a virtually stress-free environment for Jeanne. And in so doing, I more or less relieved my stress. It’s a little like loving someone. When one exudes love, it’s usually reciprocated. Creates a good feeling. Seems to me that to be relatively stress-free, one must be rested. When I’m tired and stretched thin, I’m more prone to stress. Physical and mental stress. When I’m rested, I tend to be in a good mood. Happy. And I try to live in slow motion. I don’t like to rush. Before I retired, I wrote for newspapers. And I had deadlines. Especially for breaking news. The adrenaline flowed. Which is all right, if you’re enjoying yourself. But as I got older, I began to think that writing in a hurry was nonsense. Now I can take my time. And write pretty much as I please. Without trying to please an editor. Instead, I please myself. I feel more free. And freedom – well, that’s a great reliever of stress. Oh, and I have addictions. But positive ones. I’m addicted to exercise. I need vigorous exercise. Daily. It relieves stress. And I like to work in the outdoors. Gardening. Another great reliever of stress. And I’m addicted to writing. I have to write every day. It stimulates my mind and, of course, it relieves stress. Meanwhile, I try to avoid negative addictions. I’ve never smoked, other than secondhand smoke. I’ve never had a desire to smoke. I have an occasional beer. With a meal. And, oh yes, I’m addicted to love. I find it necessary to be in love all the time. With somebody or something. Currently, I’m in love with Jeanne. With Jeanne’s spirit, that is. That’s the greatest stress reliever of all. --Jim Broede

No comments: