Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I'm still in love with life.

"Sunday my father was found after shooting himself," someone called Lost Now writes on the Alzheimer's message boards. "A neighbor had gone to check on him after being unable to contact him by phone...My mother has been in an Alzheimer's care facility for almost two years and my father has been having a more difficult time visiting her and had basically stopped coming because all he would do is cry when he saw her. My heart is broken. I don't know what to do. I was never close to my dad. He was a hard person to know. He would not let me help him even though I begged him to let me. I did not see a way to force him to move from his country home into town or to the town where I live where my mom is now. It is a hour and a half away from me. Now I wish I had done more. I knew he was depressed. I am depressed and...I couldnt see past my own pain. I thought he could handle it...So much pain and regret. I am blaming this Alzheimer's disease for this. It has sucked the life from me. I present a happy face for my mom. But inside I am dying. I believe it is the reason my dad is now dead, too. It takes everyone and everything. More than ever I believe that now. How will I go on now?"

Well, Lost Now, my dad committed suicide, too. When he was 38. I was 13. That's almost 60 years ago. And I got over it because I discovered that I enjoyed life. Despite the pitfalls. I'm sure you can, too. The secret is to focus on all the good things in life. Sure, there's bad things. Like a loved one's suicide. And Alzheimer's. But hey, death is a part of life. Just because bad things and sad things happen -- well, that's no excuse to stay depressed. Instead, go out and live. Show your dad's spirit how it can be done. Heck, I've been showing my dad how it can be done for a long, long time. I hope he's watching. I'm happy. I've had a happy marriage. And yes, my dear Jeanne died almost a year ago. From Alzheimer's. But that hasn't stopped me from loving. I'm still in love with life. --Jim Broede

No comments: