Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I let the spirit move me.

Maybe this is the way I would go about writing a book. I'd just sit down and write. Naturally. But that may not be the way an editor sees a book. An editor would like to change it. To make it more readable. More saleable. The idea is for a book to sell. To make money. A profit. And I'm not into writing now to make a living. To make money. I just want to write -- and yes, the way I want to write. Not the way somebody would maybe want me to write. When I was writing for newspapers, an editor might dictate the course of a story. Sometimes, maybe that was for the good. But sometimes, not necessarily to my liking. Since I retired, I write the way I want to write. I develop my own style. The short sentences. I don't necessarily follow rules. I write whichever way makes me feel comfortable. At the moment. I think I used to be afraid to do that. To write in a natural manner. Now I think I'm the most like my real self when I write. I can sit down and do it without interruption. Without anyone looking over my shoulder. To correct the grammar. Or to clarify the thought. It's totally up to me. And maybe up to god, too. Because I think I'm moved by a spirit. It's almost as if I'm letting god do the writing. Because I let the spirit move me. --Jim Broede

No comments: