Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I was too worried about tomorrow to live today.

I'm learning that age is a relative thing. When I turned 40, I thought, oh my gawd, I'm getting old. And then I turned 50, and I thought I'm running out of time. But I never had a mid-life crisis. Maybe because I was in love. That made a difference. I turned 60, and I began to wonder if I'd ever see 70. And here I am, at 72 and counting. Maybe one reason I found it comforting to be married to an older woman is that it made me feel younger. But Jeanne had rewards, too. Because I helped make her feel younger. Anyway, the older I get, I learn more and more to savor the day, the week, the month. Just to savor life. Be reasonably happy. I understand what I can control, and what I can't control. I can control my attitude. I can at this very moment choose to be happy, or to be sad. And I'd rather be happy. And if something happens that makes me sad, I'll get over it. Because I want to live and to love. And as for tomorrow, I'm not going to worry about it. I'll deal with tomorrow when tomorrow comes. Didn't use to be that way. I was too worried about tomorrow to live today. --Jim Broede

No comments: